Orange Blossom Honey Cake with Pistachios
- 5 large free range eggs
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 5 tbsp almond meal
- Zest of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 orange
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup coarse semolina or wheat germ
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ¾ cup extra virgin olive oil
- Handful shaved almonds for topping, optional
Honey Pistachio Syrup:
- 1 ¼ cup Pure Peninsula Orange Blossom Honey
- 1 1/4 cup shelled salted pistachios
- Juice of 2 oranges
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC.
- Grease a 9 x 13 baking pan with butter and dust with flour.
- Place all the cake ingredients (except the shaved almonds) in a large mixing bowl and stir.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden.
- Remove and let the cake completely cool.
- Once the cake has cooled, prepare the honey syrup.(Note: The syrup needs to be hot when you pour it on the cooled cake).
- Toast the pistachios in a pan over low to medium heat. Once they start to brown, stir in the Pure Peninsula Orange Blossom Honey.
- Add the orange juice and lemon juice and boil for 1-2 minutes.
- Use a skewer to create holes in the cake and pour the honey pistachio syrup all over the cake.
- Sprinkle the pistachios and shaved almonds on top of the cake.